History of St. Andrew's:
The first Anglican church building in Humboldt was built in 1905. It was 41 X 16’. The first service was held on December 31, 1905 by The Rev. C.H. Coles, then Rector of St. John’s in Saskatoon. May of 1907, Mr. H.P.G. Crosse, an English missionary Student, was appointed St. Andrew’s first Rector.
St. Andrew’s present building was begun in 1963 and on Christmas Eve 1964, in -43 degree weather, the first service was held in the then unfinished building. Our worship life is enriched by people with a diversity of cultural and denominational backgrounds.
The worship tradition, while richly Anglican, also includes many facets of the Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Ukrainian Orthodox and other traditions that make this Church a true example of Canadian Prairie innovation and ecumenism.
The tradition continues as we welcome Anglicans and others from far away and as well as right next door.
The Parish of Humboldt Family of Churches:
St. Peter’s Mancroft, located approximately 5 miles southwest of Humboldt, was built in 1907. Mr. Crosse, who homesteaded in the Mancroft district, conducted services there also. In 1963, St. Peter’s, Mancroft joined with St. Andrew’s, Humboldt. St. Peter’s Church building continues as a valued member of the Humboldt Family of Churches. It is a beloved historic church building, beautifully restored and maintained. It is a living reminder of the pioneer beginnings of Saskatchewan Anglicans.
St. Bride’s, Watsonwas also founded in 1907. St. Bride’s Watson, located in the town of Watson, about 51 km east of Humboldt, was at one time the center of a mission parish of five churches. Rural depopulation has reduced this to the existing building. St. Bride’s was enlarged in 1947 and in 1965. Beautiful stained glass memorial windows enhance the worship of St. Bride’s very traditional Anglican Church community.
St. Andrew’s and her sister churchesare spirit-led followers of Jesus Christ, open to our Lord’s call to mission for this generation. We give thanks for our first 100 years of ministry in Humboldt, Saskatchewan and we with joyful anticipation, we continue our journey in the 21st century.
of inside of St. Andrew's